Centering Prayer by Video
Centering Prayer By Video gatherings are regularly publicized on the Events page of this website. I have practiced centering prayer with people all over the world by video conference and telephone conference and many people are surprised and delighted by how powerful it can be to practice centering prayer in an online community. Those who find digital groups helpful or even preferable include contemplatives who have trouble finding a local group with which to practice; introverts who feel more comfortable meeting from their own homes; groups in churches who want to try contemplative prayer but don’t have a leader; those who for health, childcare or other reasons have difficulty leaving their homes; and those who for various reasons don’t want to be physically seen. Join me for silent prayer via video. You are welcome to practice centering prayer or any other form of silent meditation with which you are comfortable during the twenty minutes of silence.
Email me to be placed on a mailing list to receive information about new video events and series. When you RSVP to an upcoming event, I will send you instructions and a link. I am now using Zoom, similar to Skype but easier to use on your computer or phone. It can easily be used by voice only for those who do not have a camera. You do not need a Zoom account.
Centering Prayer By Video meetings usually last about 40 - 50 minutes and consist of the following:
• A chanted psalm;
• An opportunity to offer special intentions for the time of prayer either silently or aloud;
• Preparation for silent prayer or meditation;
• Twenty minute period of silence. You are welcome to practice any form of silent meditation that you choose during this period;
• Lectio divina or sacred reading. A short passage will be read four times with periods of silence in between. After the fourth reading you will be invited to offer a word or phrase from the reading that resonates for you;
• We will close by saying together the Casa del Sol version of the Lord’s Prayer.
Centering Prayer refreshers usually last about two hours. We review the basics of Centering Prayer with some suggestions on how to deepen the practice. We practice for at least 20 minutes and there is plenty of time for questions and comments period. Beginners may find this a helpful introduction to the practice and more experienced practitioners may appreciate a refresher.